- One of the things that I can't quite figure out in the history of modern hosiery is why the colour black became so omnipresent. It began in the mid-1980s and continues without constraint to the present day. Mind you we have seen a resurgence in sheer flesh-toned nylons of late particularly for … [Read more...] about The preoccupation with black hosiery
- I saw on a news report here in the USA (I think it was 20/20 or some such) that safety experts now advise women not to travel via plane while wearing any type of nylon hosiery. The reason given was that, in case of an emergency landing when there are flames in the fuselage, the heat would melt the … [Read more...] about Stockings, fires and other urban myths
- When nylon stockings were invented they were known as 'nylons'. Nowadays with all the other types of hosiery on the market isn't it about time the name 'nylons' came back in to force for nylon stockings and tights alike. It would also be easier for men to say to women how much they like their … [Read more...] about Nylons or stockings?
- This morning our corporate VP and general counsel forwarded to me an opinion from our legal department. It was written by a new, young lawyer fresh out of one of our nation's better law schools. The first sentence of the young lawyer's memo was as follows: "Because of the opinion which you … [Read more...] about Luxury and the lost generation
- Last week I sat in on some presentations made by individuals and groups requesting funding. One of the groups was advocating gay-oriented medical issues. The presenters were gay women. I was most anxious to see how they would be attired. It has been my experience that presenters usually try to … [Read more...] about Trousers: is the medium the message?